POOR MISS FINCH by Wilkie Collins

POOR MISS FINCH by Wilkie Collins

08 May 2009

Next up: ROMOLA by George Eliot

Dear Serial Readers,

With only two more installments left of our current Trollope serial, I want to announce the next serial, one that actually overlapped with Small House in the pages of the Cornhill magazine in 1862-63. We'll start reading George Eliot's Romola the end of this month. The novel appeared in 14 monthly installments starting July 1862 with chapters 1-5. I propose we begin with an installment a week and increase to two installments a week later in the summer. The serial parts were lavishly illustrated by Frederic Leighton and I'll try to include some of those drawings. I've put one in the sidebar.

Besides purchasing or borrowing an edition of the novel (I like the Oxford, but there's a good Penguin edition as well), you can download it from the Gutenberg Project. Please spread the word and get some version of the text. I'm also eager for guest bloggers, especially the last week of June and first week of July when I'll be traveling.

I know this choice may disappoint some of you, but there were so many different preferences. I promise we'll try Gaskell or Dickens or Collins next time.

Serially Satisfied,
Susan

No comments: