POOR MISS FINCH by Wilkie Collins

POOR MISS FINCH by Wilkie Collins

12 January 2012

Washington Square 2 (July 1880)--chaps. 7-12

Dear Serial Readers,

I agree that we have a story with unappealing or at least challenging (to care about) characters, most of all Dr. Sloper who has so little regard for his daughter as worth marrying for any reason but her money, or for her "liberty" in the matter. In the first installment I pounced on those crumbs of hope for Catherine's character--her childhood appetite, her red dress, her deception. But in this second installment I'm finding a too compliant daughter whose rebellion is less than mild (accepting Morris's proposal not outdoors in the Square, but in the drawing room). The only trace of that earlier sensuality is her slightly animated response to kissing.

The end of this second installment tries to muster a touch of suspense--will Catherine "retreat" or "stop," or will she elope with Morris? I'm afraid I have difficulty seeing ahead any action against her father and toward marrying Morris. But maybe that's because I'm too familiar with the dutiful daughter Pansy Osmond who follows this heroine in James's next novel.

One more thing--the narrator's voice seems to blend with Dr. Sloper's clinical gaze; neither seems to have much heart or care for these young people. Or do you see something else?

Next installment: chapters 13-18.

Serially stalled,
Susan

1 comment:

Kari said...

Well, I liked her a little better in this section! And I compared her to her cousin and cousin's fiance and liked her yet more. Even though Aunt Lavinia seems not entirely accurate in her perceptions, I believed her when she said Catherine is strong. I am intrigued to see whether she marries Morris, which seems the most likely plot possibility at this point, and if so, how she makes it work for her, if she does.
I agree with Susan, that the doctor's point of view seems closest to the narrator's, but I think a little more cynical.