POOR MISS FINCH by Wilkie Collins

POOR MISS FINCH by Wilkie Collins

18 January 2012

Washington Square 3 (Aug. 1880)--chaps. 13-18

Dear Serial Readers,

The question of marrying for money--mercenary motives--continues in this installment. I rather liked Morris's candor with Mrs. Penniman: "I DO like the money!" And Mrs. P points out in turn that Dr S "married a wife with money--why shouldn't you?" So is Catherine's inheritance the underlying motivation or a benefit on the side? Isn't money always a facet of marriage alliances, does James suggest, in some way or other? Is it the money angle that irks Catherine's father, or does he use this to provide a rationale for some intuitive dislike of Morris's character (along with Dr S's sense that his daughter is easily taken advantage of--but is she)? What matter is this matter of money in marriage plotting here? Is Dr S's threat that Catherine won't receive his money should she marry Morris a test of her dutiful daughterliness (which she's struggling to preserve) or a test of Morris's ultimate motive?

I can see all the wills and will plotting at work here. Whose will prevail in the end? I'm glad this novel is short--only three more parts.

Next time, chapters 19-24.

Serially yours,
Susan

2 comments:

readerann said...

In chapter 15 the doctor is awfully sure-footed where Catherine is concerned. “She will do as I have bidden her,” he says and on further reflection notes that his daughter is not a woman of great spirit. Does he underestimate or misjudge her? This bit is followed by Catherine’s “discovery of great excitement in trying to be a good daughter,” as if she were watching another person “who was both herself and not herself…inspiring her with a natural curiosity as to the performance of untested functions.” Seems to me she is quite tested in chapter 18, in an encounter with her despicable father.

Kari said...

I really didn't like Morris in this section; found him almost despicable, but I realized, as Susan questions, that I'm not sure whether money is his entire motive or merely an added benefit in marrying Catherine. I also found myself quite disliking the aunt! And quite liking Catherine's resistance to her aunt. Chapter 18 does seem to put the worst of the doctor on display, too.
At this point, Morris reminds me of the type of student I call "too cool for school"; the one's with exquisite artistic sensitivities and "deep" philosophical interests, but no discipline for steady work or learning.